This year, I’m learning to live with less in my 2014 Simplicity theme year. That means finding innovative ways to save money so we can spend our money in the places we really need to (or want to). I saw this idea on Pinterest and just had to try it. Homemade dishwashing detergent for the dishwasher! And the recipe is so simple – and best of all, it saves you money each year.
Pinspiration: Dishwashing Detergent. This easy, useful project can be completed in 15 minutes. And it helps you save money and gives you much cleaner dishes! I’ve been using this dishwashing detergent in my dishwasher exclusively for about 6 months now and I love it. The detergent works great and cleans everything!
Start with the right supplies. We ordered a few of these items online, but most items can be easily found at your big box store. You’ll need:
- Washing Soda or Baking Soda (I use whatever is cheapest per ounce)
- Citric Acid (store in an airtight container and keep away from children. Eye irritant)
- Kosher Salt or Table Salt (I’ve tried both – now I use table salt)
- Grater & Bowls
- Storage Container & Table Spoon
Mix the ingredients together. Here is the complete recipe:
- 1-2 cups of Borax (many recipes call for 1 cup, I use about 1.5 cups)
- 1-2 cups of Washing Soda or Baking Soda (many recipes call for 1 cup, I use about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup Citric Acid (this is an eye-irritant. Be careful when using this item)
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt or Table Salt (scrubbing agent)
Store detergent mix in an airtight container. We use the same amount as we did with “store-bought” dishwashing detergent. Because of the salt in the recipe, you may need to use the tablespoon to break apart the chunks of detergent. I used the chunkier pieces in the open detergent holder and used the powdery pieces in the holder that closed. Use vinegar as your rinse agent – just pour it right in the dispenser.
This is the cleanest our dishes have ever been! Seriously, we used to have so much residue on our dishes, I’d pre-scrub them before company came over because I was embarrassed of them. Not anymore, the natural mix of this dishwashing detergent makes clean, sparkling dishes every time. It has even cleaned our dishwasher substantially!
Cute packaging makes it a great gift. Store detergent in mason jars and add a tablespoon as trimming. Then you can easily gift this to everyone you know and start them on their path to more frugal, and still amazing dishwashing detergent.